Saturday, March 13, 2010

When applying PolyCrylic over furniture painted with latex paint, how long do I have to wait for paint to dry?

I just painted my daughters bedroom furniture with white latex wall paint (Kilz satin finish)....How long should I wait for the paint to dry/cure before I can apply polycrylic to it?





Also, am I supposed to lightly sand my paint jobs before applying the polycrylic?





I've never used this stuff before, but I want to protect the paint from being chipped or scraped off of the furniture and this was the only stuff that said I could cover paint with it.





One more thing, clear satin polycrylic won't yellow over time, will it? I've painted the furniture white. If it WILL, can someone recommend something else I can use to protect the paint jobs that won't yellow?





Thanks : )When applying PolyCrylic over furniture painted with latex paint, how long do I have to wait for paint to dry?
I would wait twice the label drying time to be sure it's really dry. If you lightly sand before the polycrylic be sure it's very light or you will wear off the edges. I would probably try putting on a first coat and then sand or steel wool between coats, if you don't want to risk seeing the edges. I don't know if it yellows. Try a sample on an old board for the sanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment