Sunday, March 7, 2010

I have paneling in my bedroom that was painted. How do I prepare it to repaint?

Do I need to sand the walls and then wipe then down first?I have paneling in my bedroom that was painted. How do I prepare it to repaint?
Just repaint it. Unless it was painted a really dark color. If it is already painted a dark color and you are wanting to paint it a lighter color.





Then you must put a primer on it first to keep the dark color from showing through the light color. Or you will end up putting 2 or 3 coats of paint on the walls to cover them up. So its best to use primer if they are a dark color.





Other wise if it is painted a light color and your just repainting it some other kind of light color you can go ahead and just paint right over it.





I have some walls in my home that have paneling on them, they were a terrible blue green color and I hated it so I painted them to make them look better. The person went crazy and put it in the bathroom, the blue green stuff and even did a wall in the living room.





I just painted over the top of it and it looks great. No sanding at all, as the paint will not peal off. If the wall is dirty or if any one has been smoking in the house then you will need to wash them down so that it won't bleed through the paint.





Once you paint them they will look great. I hope this helps you.I have paneling in my bedroom that was painted. How do I prepare it to repaint?
If the walls have been painted before with a latex paint then just prime and paint. If they were painted with a gloss paint you should lightly sand and wipe down.
I reciently went to home depot and bought beir paint that was rated #1 with consumer reports. It covered with NO primer over paneling with one coat. its 26 a can, but worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment